Sunday, November 20, 2005

beautiful, beautiful emerson has a conversation with Lucille Clifton


Just for all to get an idea, this blog is brought to you by Lucille Clifton (who had something to say) and my dear friend, emerson...

"eve thinking"

it is wild country here
brothers and sisters coupling
claw and wing
groping one another

i wait
while the clay two-foot
rumbles in his chest
searching for language to

call me
but he is slow
tonight as he sleeps
i will whisper into his mouth
our names
won't you celebrate with me
what i have shaped into
a kind of life? i had no model.
born in babylon
both nonwhite and woman
what did i see to be except myself?
i made it up
here on this bridge between
starshine and clay,
my one hand holding tight
my other hand; come celebrate
with me that everyday
something has tried to kill me
and has failed.

1 Comments:

Blogger alyse said...

my beautiful friend, i celebrate with you the failure of every hateful thing that has tried to destroy your beauty, pervert your intelligence and squash your spirit. nonwhite&woman myself, i stand on this bridge holding your hand in gratitude that both of us have survived the opposition and oppression of small minds and narrow hearts.

November 20, 2005 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home