Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A change is gonna come...


In 1963, the beautiful and inspired voice of Sam Cooke recorded "Change Is Gonna Come." I've included part of the lyric,

Sometimes I thought I wouldn’t last for long
But now I think I’m able to carry on
It’s been a long, long time coming
But I know a change is gonna come
Oh yes it is

This is my life now. I think that the cosmic spirits have realligned. God is pleased with my transformation and CHANGE IS OCCURING in my life. I sit in a coffee shop. I'm supposed to be reading for a paper due on Tuesday. It'll get done. I don't know how, but I just know. I guess that's the beauty of faith...

I received a call from a good friend of mine from college. He called me with a bunch of good news. Let me back up....When I was at the conference, he introduced me to a number of people who would help me with employment over the next year. I was placed in the right place at the right time. I know him because this moment was meant to happen. Anyway, we haven't hung out in a while. I saw him on Thursday and didn't get to see him again during the conference. So I called him on Saturday to remind him that we needed to hang out, I missed him, and I loved him. He called me back today. I am so excited. I wanted to take part in a program offered by the National Coalition for Community Justice of Metro. St. Louis. I was going to apply for this program before January 27, 2006 (the deadline), but I was so caught up in preparing for my second exam that I decided to just skip it. Well, my friend calls and tells me that there's an opening in the program. A woman of color was unable to take part in the program and the director (who I met through my friend) thought of me as a replacement.

I've decided to take a 10-day Vipassana Meditation course at the end of June. I've emailed my resume/vita to a couple of folks who know of employment opportunities that involve children and social justice. I sent my resume off for a teaching position in the area. I'm more than hopeful about that position. In another year, I will be someplace else enjoying my life without the same ignorance, uncaring, spite, and oppression that I have endured here. All of those things may exist where I end up, but it won't be same struggle and for that, I am most thankful.

Oh, and at the end of May, I will begin locing my hair. I might just have to post my photo on my blog. The sky has opened and it is pouring upon me in abundance. All I can do is receive it, be thankful, and pass it on.

Hey y'all..be light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home